Show Notes for this Episode:
Do you want to improve your mental strength in midlife? If so, this is the show for you! Amy Morin is an international bestselling author of the book 13 Things Mentally Strong People Don’t Do. Her follow-up book, 13 Mentally Strong Women Don’t Do, is my personal favorite and the one we focus on for this podcast episode. Amy also a psychotherapist, speaker, college instructor, and the Editor-in-Chief of the trusted mental well-being website, Verywell Mind.
Amy is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to helping people develop greater mental strength. I wish I had read her books much sooner! Not only are her points on what “not” to do clear and understandable, but she also provides all kinds of examples and stories in her books for how we can avoid the very obstacles that hold us back in life.
I was first introduced to Amy when she was a featured speaker at a financial advisor conference I attended. Her insights resonated with me instantly, so I was thrilled when she agreed to chat with me on the podcast! I had the opportunity to ask Amy plenty of questions that were on my mind about midlife crisis, aging, reinvention, and becoming mentally stronger in midlife. Enjoy! (full transcript below if you prefer to read)
In this episode you will learn:
- How to make sure you are making sane decisions in midlife
- What is the fear of aging really about and how to become more empowered as we age
- How to get away from comparing yourself to others and become your personal best self
- Some of the fears behind reinvention and making changes in midlife that can keep you stuck
- The dimensions and evolution of your personality over time
- Why we should always be learning and growing
- How we (and others) label ourselves and how to break out of the mold
- The differences between men and women when it comes to mental strength
- Amy’s “miracle” question and how it can help you change your behavior
Where to find Amy’s work:
Amy is Editor in Chief at Verywell Mind
Amy’s Books on Amazon:
Amy’s Podcast on Apple Podcasts:
Join the Women Retire Smart™ Community
The Women Retire Smart™ Community is a virtual community and email newsletter for women professionals within 5 to 15 years of retirement who want to retire smart, secure, and happy!